Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Diversity within India


As this class will focus on the southeast Asian countries, one of those countries includes India, which also happens to be the country that multiple generations of my family come from. So, for my first blogpost, I thought it’s only fair that this blog be dedicated to my homeland. Firstly, India is a very diverse country, for there are over several hundred languages the country alone. Moreover, there are so many different cultures in India that are all so different and apart from one another. Every Indian culture contains its own food, its own language, its own music, its own traditional attire, its own traditions, its own rituals, etc. 
For example, my family is Punjabi, which is one of the smaller, yet popular, cultures in India. The Punjabi culture originates from the northwestern part of India, in the state of Punjab. As explained in the article written by Surinder M. Bhardwaj and Manmohan Singh, before the partition of India and Pakistan, Punjab was originally home to five major rivers; therefore, the word Punjab originates from two Persian words, panj(five) and āb(water). Personally, I think the Punjabi culture is so enriched and beautiful. There are so many interesting things that I would love to pass on about my culture and all the other Indian cultures. To this day, it still amuses me that all these cultures originated from the same country, yet they also have so many differences and similarities to one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment